Fall has such a distinct mood to me; it’s warm, cozy and all about pumpkin! This pumpkin bar recipe has been in our family since my grandpa created it years ago. Everyone in my family has different memories associated with these bars. My dad remembers waking up to the sweet spiced smell when he was young; my mom recalls how these were always at the annual Halloween party. Food brings family together, and the best food memories are the ones shared with family and friends. Warning: having one might make you want to finish the whole pan (this can be solved by sharing and finishing the whole pan together)!
Pumpkin Bar Ingredients:
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts (optional)
Spiced Frosting Ingredients:
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Dash of ground ginger
- Dash of ground cloves
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9in x 9in glass pan.
- Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer.
- Add egg, pumpkin and vanilla – mix well. It could be slightly clumpy here so don’t panic.
- In a separate bowl: mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. If adding the walnuts, gently fold the walnuts into the mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool until slightly warm for the frosting.
- Place brown sugar, butter, milk, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a 1 quart saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture bubbles. Stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
- Place the hot mixture into a stand mixer bowl and slowly beat in powdered sugar.
- Pour frosting over the slightly warm pumpkin bars and spread evenly.
- Cut into squares. Enjoy!
Our favorite: Enjoy these pumpkin bars with a hot cup of coffee or tea!